Friday, September 29, 2006

in my own skin... Sunday Scribblings # 27

What popped into my head when I read the prompt was the idea of being comfortable in your own skin...

I think, like snakes, humans go through several skins before they finally grow into the right one or find the right one, which can end up being a combination of all the skins that have appeared before...

I went through several skins... the alternative-plaid-and-doc-marten-wearing skin...the rat-pack-wannabe-martini-drinking-swing-dancing-skin... and instead of leaving them behind, I've kept the good things that should be kept and shaken off the bad (like the plaid shirts)

And some skins just stay with you no matter how hard you try to shed them... you can't change a short skin (not matter how much you want just another inch), or acne-prone skin (all the neutrogena in the world couldn't help me in my teens)... and some skins are bred in the bone...

It takes time and work to become comfortable in your skin, especially moving beyond the ideas of what the world, a social circle, a family, a workplace, etc. considers acceptable skins...

Being comfortable and confident in your own skin...like putting on a favourite pair of jeans...

5 Comments:

At 2:27 a.m. PDT, Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for the post. It was interesting to read.

 
At 6:14 a.m. PDT, Blogger gma said...

Like putting on a favorite pair of jeans. Just great!

 
At 8:55 a.m. PDT, Blogger Writer Bug said...

I love the idea of humans shedding skin like snakes. Good post!

 
At 5:05 a.m. PDT, Blogger Pacian said...

All very true. Insightful writing, thank you for sharing!

 
At 6:13 a.m. PDT, Blogger Kristi Tencarre said...

Northern lights ~ i LOVE them! I saw them a ton when I lived one winter in Edmonton. I hope you see them this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home